In a difficult economic situation, each driver first of all closely looks at the vehicle fuel sensor. Can he reduce the frequency of visiting a gas station? Everyone can do it.
The first thing to consider is a factor that cannot be changed. These are the operating conditions of the machine. In winter, the engine needs to be warmed up; a loaded car requires increased revs. Therefore, each time an identical mileage indicator will have a different amount of fuel consumed.
The main reasons for increased fuel consumption
In addition to operating conditions, there are factors related to the technical condition of the machine. Here's what else affects the increase in gas mileage in the car:
- mechanical failures;
- defects in additional equipment;
- faults in the electronics.
Mechanical causes of increased fuel consumption
The excessive consumption of fuel directly depends on the loads that the engine experiences. All moving parts of the vehicle must be free to move. And even insignificant resistance leads to excessive consumption of fuel. Here are just some of the faults.
- Unadjusted wheel alignment. It should be done when changing tires seasonally.
- Tightly tightened hub nuts. You can check this malfunction by coasting the car. If it stops unusually quickly, then you should pay attention to the hub bearings. Usually such a part will be very hot.
- Brake system malfunction. A clamped block will not only wear out quickly. It will lead to rapid tire wear and additional stress on the motor.
Defect of attachments and auxiliary equipment
High fuel consumption in unchanged operating conditions is a clear sign of the appearance of some kind of malfunction. And most often it is a breakdown of additional equipment. Here's what to look out for.
- Air conditioner malfunction. When climate control is on, the consumption rate increases from 0,5 to 2,5 liters per 100 kilometers. And if the compressor of the installation is faulty (bearing worn out), it will provide additional resistance to the motor shaft.
- Generator malfunction. Since it is also connected to the moving element of the engine, the violation of the free wheeling of the bearing leads to high fuel consumption.
- Problems with the pump and timing roller. Usually, when changing the timing belt, you need to check the serviceability of the water pump. While the engine is running, the pump impeller will also rotate. Therefore, a frequent breakdown of such a mechanism is a failure of the bearing. And if a motorist pours ordinary water into the cooling system, he cuts the resource of the part by half. In this case, by the puddle formed under the car, the driver will immediately understand what is broken.
Faulty electronics and sensors
In new generation machines, high consumption is the result of errors in the electronic control unit. Modern cars are equipped with a large number of sensors that regulate the supply of fuel and air. They measure the parameters of revolutions and loads. And in accordance with this, the ignition and gasoline supply system is adjusted.
When any sensor becomes unusable, the ECU receives incorrect data. From this, the control unit incorrectly adjusts the operation of the power unit. The result is increased fuel consumption.
The main sensors, the breakdown of which can significantly lead to excessive consumption of gasoline:
- DMRV - mass fuel consumption sensor;
- throttle body;
- air temperature.
We eliminate the causes and normalize fuel consumption
To reduce the consumption of gasoline, diesel fuel or gas, the first step is to find out the causes of the problem. If the car is equipped with an on-board computer, it is easy to find it. The display will show a signal corresponding to the fault. How to normalize fuel consumption? Here are 3 easy steps.
- Scheduled maintenance. Replaced filters will not interfere with the movement of oil, fuel and air. The timing belt and its bearing, air conditioner, brake pads - all this needs periodic replacement or maintenance. Their serviceability directly affects the engine load.
- Elementary diagnostics of the car running gear. Defective bearings tend to heat up or squeak. By replacing them, the driver will not only provide a smooth ride for the car, but also reduce the load on the engine while driving.
- In the event of a malfunction of the electronics elements, it is necessary to carry out computer diagnostics. It will help you identify the software errors that caused the crash.
Every driver should remember that fuel consumption is only 40% dependent on vehicle malfunction. The remaining 60% are the habits of the car owner. Open windows at speeds above 50 km / h, overloading the car, sharp and high-speed driving style. These actions significantly increase fuel consumption. The radio, air conditioning, heated seats and windshield must be used intermittently. And not at maximum power.
These are just some of the factors that affect fuel consumption. It is important to make timely diagnostics, get used to a relaxed driving style and adhere to the manufacturer's instructions. Then the car will delight its owner with a stable fuel consumption.
interesting experiment on fuel economy: