The novelty was built on the chassis of the previous model and received many technical and visual changes. This is how reviews of many cars of the next generation begin. What is the chassis on which the next models are produced? Let's deal with this issue in more detail.
All motor vehicles consist of three main components:
- power point;
A chassis is not a specific part of a vehicle. Sometimes this term refers to the supporting structure of the machine.
In fact, the chassis is a set of mechanisms that interact with the wheels and bearings of the car. This is the unit that combines the steering of a car, its transmission, damping system and chassis. All these systems are connected on a common basis, and their work is synchronized so that the entire car can do the movement. The chassis also includes a frame plus powertrains - engine, transmission and suspension. It has a body that gives the car a finished look.
The chassis of the car also means a set of parts and assemblies on which the movement and maneuvers of the vehicle depend. In the technical documentation of the car, it has a marking, which in this case corresponds to the body number (what is chassis number).
The main components of the car chassis are two suspensions - front and rear, as well as wheels. Suspensions are necessary to soften or eliminate vibrations when driving, thanks to which the car smoothly overcomes all the bumps in the road.
All units necessary for movement are mounted on the base of the car in such a way that rotational energy is transmitted from the engine to the drive wheels. This is how all nodes are synchronized:
- Installed on the subframe motor... From it, the torque is transmitted to the front or rear axle (in the case of all-wheel or rear-wheel drive). This causes the wheels to turn and the machine moves forward or backward.
- The steering is connected to the car to change its direction. The driving wheels set the car in motion, and the steering wheels set the direction for it. There are many details in this assembly that provide smooth maneuvers while riding.
- To change the vehicle speed, a gearbox is installed between the power unit and the drive wheels. She may be mechanical or automatic. In this assembly, the torque is increased by a set of gears, which relieves excessive load on the engine.
- Vibrations occur when driving on different roads. Shaking and vibration will quickly cause transmission and steering components to fail. To compensate for this load, levers and shock absorbers are attached to the subframe.
As you can see, the chassis of the car allows you to set the entire structure in motion, change its direction and compensate for the vibration loads that occur during driving. Thanks to this development, the energy generated by the internal combustion engine can be used for the comfortable and safe transportation of people and large loads.
The chassis of a car and a truck are created according to the same principle: it consists of a supporting part, to which the units necessary for movement are attached.
The base of the machine takes all the load during acceleration, braking and rocking, therefore the material from which it is made is particularly durable. There are two types of vehicle chassis.
1. Frame. Previously, this type of carrier was used in all vehicles. The frame is strong channels and beams welded together, to which all the elements of the machine are attached, including the body. This base allows loaded vehicles to withstand heavy torsional loads while driving off-road. In the modern automotive industry, this type of chassis is used in trucks and full-fledged SUVs.
2. Load-bearing body. This type of chassis is used in the development of new generation passenger cars. In this case, the main body part performs the frame function. Among such structures, there are two more varieties: the supporting base and the supporting body. The idea for this design is driven by the desire of engineers to make the car lighter in order to increase the performance of the power unit. Due to the fact that there are no large and heavy elements in such a chassis, the vehicle can be more dynamic with a low ICE power.
Compared to the frame structure, the chassis with a monocoque body does not allow transporting large loads. Most often these are sports and executive class cars.
In an effort to create the most practical car, manufacturers are constantly improving the aerodynamics of the body, engine power, but at the same time, great attention is paid to its chassis. Gradually, lightweight materials from alloys of strong but light metals appear in this unit.
This video uses Mazda vehicles to illustrate the benefits of these changes:
If unusual noises are detected when shifting from one gear to another, this is a signal of a chassis malfunction. One of the most common problems is when the car leads to the side, to the right or to the left.
This happens for several reasons:
- the geometry of the front wheels is broken,
- increased tire pressure,
- deformed levers,
- big differences in amount of tires,
- violation of parallelism between the axles of the rear and front axles.
These problems can lead to damage to the shock absorbers through broken springs or other damage to the suspension. If damage to the chassis is suspected, the driver should also look for leaks from the chassis. The silent blocks may be loosened, which often leads to damage to the discs and imbalance of the front wheels. A squeak during braking is a signal of a malfunction of the shock absorber, stabilizer or parts of the supporting elements. If at least one of the above symptoms appears, you should immediately take action and contact a car service.
Also you can find out what is CHASSIS NUMBER: WHERE IS IT LOCATED AND WHAT DOES IT SERVE?