- Cars from the Transformers movies
It is difficult to remember a fantasy film, the special effects in which would be as realistic as in all parts of Transformers. The picture did not leave anyone indifferent, in whose heart an eight-year-old boy with a violent imagination continues to live.
Transformers is perhaps the only film in which cars are the heroes. Even the Fast and the Furious, with its sleek and pumped-up cars, isn't as focused on tech as this painting.
The highlight of the film is the filming of the detailed transformation of huge robots into cars. Moreover, the Autobots and Decepticons are turning into their own models, because each car is beautiful in its own way. What cars have been chosen as representatives of the universe of transformers? Look at the photos of these unique cars that have become heroes of the struggle between good and evil.
The first part, released in 2007, completely revolutionized the understanding of the "science fiction" genre. The most popular representative of Cybertron was a fighter with a damaged sound processor - Bumblebee.
Despite the fact that this robot is not the main Autobot, the viewer is more fond of this particular yellow transformer. This is confirmed by a separate film about his early stay on planet Earth.
This hero turned into old and smoking Chevrolet Camaro 1977 release. In reality, this is an interesting car from the era of the gasoline crisis. The Muscle Cars representative was equipped with an 8-cylinder V-engine. The fuel system has been modernized (compared to the voracious ICE of the first generation), motor volume was 5,7 liters, and the power reached 360 horsepower.
In this outfit, the Autobot did not ride for long and Sam Whitwicky became the proud owner of the 2009 camaro (!) Of the year. The film used a pre-production concept model that was never released in the configuration it appeared in the film.
The leader of the Autobots was Optimus Prime. The giant physically could not transform into a small car, so the director decided to emphasize the impressive dimensions of the hero by dressing him in the shape of a Peterbilt 379 tractor.
The dream of any trucker belongs to the class of tractors equipped with a system of increased comfort. This model was produced in the period from 1987 to 2007. Some experts believe that Optimus turned into a Kenworth W900L. This is not surprising, because Peterbilt was built on a modified chassis of this truck.
The Autobot squad also included:
- Gunsmith Ironhide. The only Autobot who doesn't like people. During the trips, he transformed into GMC TopKick Pickup 2006 release. The American truck was powered by a V-8 diesel engine with DOHC system... Maximum power reached 300 hp. at 3 rpm.
- Scout Jazz. After landing near a car dealership, the Autobot scanned the exterior of a Pontiac Solstice GXP. The nimble coupe is powered by a 2,0-liter engine with a maximum output of 260 horsepower. From a place to 100 km / h. it accelerates in 6 seconds. An excellent choice for recon missions. It is a pity that this robot died a heroic death in the very first part.
- Medic Ratchet. For this robot, the director chose a rescue Hummer H2. America's military power was emphasized precisely by this reliable SUV on the side of good. Today, this copy of an armored car, created especially for the film, is in the General Motors Museum, located in Detroit.
The opponents of the Autobots in the first part of the film were the following Decepticons:
- Barricade. The first Decepticon that the audience saw. This is a brutal police car Ford Mustang Saleen S281. The supercharged enemy is considered the most powerful Mustang of the entire Ford family. A V-shaped 8-cylinder 4,6-liter engine was placed under the hood of the car. The formidable 500 horsepower is difficult to resist the yellow Bumblebee, but the brave warrior can do it all.
- Bounkrasher. The huge and clumsy Buffalo H armored personnel carrier is not afraid of anything, and this is not surprising, since it is equipped with mine protection. The Decepticon's "hand" in real life is a 9-meter manipulator designed for demining objects. The engine for the "enemy" military equipment develops a power of 450 hp, and the armored car accelerates to 105 km / h along the highway.
The rest of the Decepticons were transformed mainly into aviation technology:
- Blackout. The MH-53 helicopter is the first extraterrestrial enemy that the soldiers of the closed military base had to face. By the way, the shooting was carried out at a real American Air Force base called Holoman.
- Star Scream. This is also not a fake, but an F-22 Raptor combat fighter. 2007 Transformers is the first film after the events of September 11, 2001, which was allowed to be filmed using military aircraft near the Pentagon.
- Megatron. In contrast to the general idea of transforming robots into terrestrial technology, the leader of the Decepticons was left with the right to use extraterrestrial technology. In this part, it turns into a Cybertron starship.
Watch also a short video review of cars from the first part:
Inspired by the incredible success of the film, Michael Bay's team immediately began to create the second part of the fantastic action movie. After just two years, a sequel called "Revenge of the Fallen" appears on the screens.
It turns out that during the last fight, the opponents of the Autobots were not completely destroyed. But by the time of their uprising, new robots had arrived on the planet, joining in the cleanup of the hidden villains. In addition to the main brigade, the detachment was replenished with the following soldiers:
- Sideswipe. This character was created, most likely, to replace the deceased Jazz. It is presented by the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. Returning to robot mode, he uses wheels like rollers, which allows him to "run" at speeds up to 140 km / h. The robot deftly copes with two swords, and does not need another weapon.
- Skids and Mudflap. Sideswipe's helpers are the most comical characters that defuse the tense atmosphere. Skids is presented with a green Chevrolet Beat (the viewer saw the prototype of the next generation Spark). A minicar with a 1,0-liter engine develops 68 hp. and accelerates to a top speed of 151 km / h. Its twin brother is a red Chevrolet Trax. Probably, during the test drive of this concept car, some flaws were revealed that did not make it possible to release a series in the near future.
- Arcy - a representative of motor vehicles. This robot has the unique ability to split into three independent modules. The main motorcycle is the Ducati 848, equipped with a 140-horsepower two-cylinder engine with a maximum torque of 98 Nm at 9750 rpm. The second module, Chromium, is presented Suzuki B-King 2008 release. The third, Elite-1, is the MV Agusta F4. Such a small technique has weak firepower, therefore, as stated by Michael Bay, all three sisters died in this unit.
- Jolt appeared only in a short episode, and was represented by the prototype of the first generation Chevrolet Volt known today.
- Jetfighter - An old Decepticon who helped the Autobots transforms into an SR-71 Blackbird reconnaissance aircraft.
In the second part, the transformers are confronted by updated enemies, many of which do not look like cars, for example, Follen transformed into a starship, Soundwave into an orbiting satellite, Revage looked like a panther, and Scorponok looked like a huge scorpion.
At the same time, the Decepticon fleet has also been updated. Basically, as in the previous film, these are military or construction vehicles:
- Megatron after being revived, it was already reincarnated into a Cybertron tank.
- Sideways appears only at the beginning of the picture. it Audi R8, under the hood of which is installed a 4,2-liter engine with 420 hp. A real sports car can accelerate to "hundreds" in 4,6 seconds, and the maximum speed is 301 km / h. The Decepticon was immobilized by Sideswipe's blades.
- Scrapmetal was Volvo EC700C. It was taken apart at the bottom of the Mariana Trench in order to repair Megatron.
The most interesting Decepticon was Devastator. It was not a separate robot.
It was assembled from the following modules:
- Demolisher - an excavator designed to work in a quarry. The heavyweight Decepticon in the director's mind looked exactly like the Terex-O & K RH 400.
- Mixmaster - Mack Granite, a concrete mixer that became the head of a monster;
- Rampage - the Caterpillar D9L bulldozer that held Sam's parents hostage;
- Long Hole - the Caterpillar 773B dump truck took the place of Devastator's right leg, and was considered one of the most hardy robots from the Megatron gang;
- Scraper - the right hand of the destroyer monster is represented by a yellow Caterpillar 992G loader;
- Highway - a crane that formed the left arm of the destroyer;
- Skevenger - Terex RH400, a red clone of Demolisher, turned out to be an integral part of the giant's torso;
- Overload - dump truck Komatsu HD465-7, which formed the other half of the body.
Additionally, see these robots in action:
The beginning of the third part takes the viewer back to the time of the space race between the Soviet Union and America. On the dark side of the natural satellite of the Earth, an Autobot rescue ship was found, on which the rods for copying Cybertron were preserved in the cargo hold. The robots decided to carry out their evil plan precisely on the "pearl" of the Universe.
And again, the threat of destruction hangs over humanity. An updated detachment of Autobots began to defend the "young species". The transformers garage was replenished with the following units:
- Reckers. Three twin brothers (Roadbuster, Topsin and Leadfoot) transform into stock cars for Nascar. Models chosen for the characters are Chevrolet Impala SS Nascar Sprint Cup Series.
- Kew - a scientist who transformed into Mercedes-Benz E350 in the back of W212. His inventions helped Sam kill Starscream. The four-door sedan was equipped with engines from 3,0 to 3,5 liters. Such a representative car accelerates up to 100 km / h. in 6,5-6,8 seconds.
- Mirage, scout. The elegant Italian sports car Ferrari 458 Italia was chosen for its transformation. Equipped with a promising 4,5-liter engine and a power of 570 hp, the car can accelerate to a hundred in 3,4 seconds. If during a reconnaissance mission a soldier is noticed, he can easily hide from sight, because the maximum speed of the car reaches 325 km / h. As you can see, the global automakers saw in the film not just a black hole in the budget of the film company (it took $ 972 million to create all the parts. dollars), and the ability to organize a smart PR for their developments.
- Sideswipe - confirmation of the fact that automakers were trying to "promote" their brand. By the time filming began for the third part, a new concept Chevrolet Corvette Stingray appeared, and the company asked to use this particular model of car as a skin for the robot.
Not only did the Autobot squad replenish with interesting specimens, the Decepticons did not lag behind in this regard. Their team has changed a bit, and has been replenished with new units:
- Megatron received a new look in the form of the Mack Titan 10 fuel tanker - an Australian tractor that can be used as the head unit of a road train. Under the hood of the strong man was a 6-cylinder diesel engine with a volume of 16 liters. and a maximum power of 685 hp. For the American market, less powerful models were created - up to a maximum of 605 horsepower. In this part of the franchise, he hid in the shadow of a stronger and more influential Decepticon.
- Shockwave - the central "villain" of the picture. He transforms into an extraterrestrial tank.
- Transformed and Soundwave... He realized that as a companion there was no good from him, so he decided to join his brothers on earth. As a camouflage, the robot chose an elegant Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG. Thanks to his appearance, it was easy for him to interest the collector of unique cars, and make a spy out of him.
- Crancase, Hatchet, Crowbar - representatives of the security detachment who disguised themselves as a tuned Chevrolet Suburban. Equipped with 5,3 and 6,0-liter engines, full-fledged American SUVs had 324 and 360 hp.
Check out the best moments of chases and transformations in this part:
Gradually, the imaginations of screenwriters and directors began to deviate from the original theme, according to which robots should transform into machines. The viewer was able to notice this deviation, and the creators of the franchise needed to do something.
In 2014, a new part about the battle of the iron aliens was released. Steven Spielberg, as well as the beloved actors Megan Fox and Shia LaBeouf, left the position of producer. The pumped up Mark Wahlberg became the main character of the picture, and the cars from the good squad were updated:
- Optimus Prime took off the old Peterbilt camouflage, and first disguised himself as a rusty Marmon Cabover 97, and in an epic episode he scans a representative of a new generation of American tractors - Western Star 5700XE, which also served as a chic promotion for innovative long-haul tractors equipped with an abundance of innovative technical developments.
- Shershen did a similar restyling for himself - from a tuned 1967 Chevrolet Camaro, he disguised himself into a conceptual Chevrolet Camaro Concept Mk4.
- Hound - Heavy Artillery Representative wears a 2010 Oshkosh FMTV. The request of the American armed forces was satisfied with the demonstration of medium tactical vehicles, another unit, the purpose of which is to highlight the combat power of a world power.
- Drift works in three different modes (samurai robot, car and cybertron helicopter), but is not equipped with firearms. In car mode, it appears on screen as a 16.4 Bugatti Veyron 2012 Grand Sport Vitesse. The model was named after the French athlete who won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1939. The supercar could accelerate to 100 km / h. in 2,5 seconds, and reach a top speed of 415 km / h. The production of the lineup ended in 2015. The irrepressible supercar has been replaced by the Bugatti Chiron hypercar.
- Crosshairs Is an Autobot Scientist who transforms into a Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7.
On the side of good is also a special race of robots - Dinobots. They are presented in the form of ancient creatures that once lived on earth - dinosaurs (Tyrannosaurus, Pteranodon, Triceratops and Spinosaurus).
The Decepticons in the fourth part are presented in the form of prototype robots created by human scientists:
- The mind of the deceased Megatron migrated to Galvatronthat uses the 2011 Freightliner Argosy Interior camouflage.
- Stinger prototype transforms into Pagani Huayra Carbon Option 2012 Initially, scientists were created as a clone of Bumblebee, but not with his character.
- Traks - A squad of clone robots that use the 2013 Cevrolet Trax look.
- Jankhip - Gestalt, transforming according to the principle of Devastator from the second part. For robot mode, it uses three autonomous modules, after which it becomes a Japanese garbage truck, which is used by Waste Management.
Here's one of the episodes showing robots in action:
The neutral character in the picture turned out to be Lockdown - a contract killer who was destroyed by Optimus. This transformer used a Lanborghini Aventador LP 700-4 (LB834). In reality, the car replaced the Murcielago. The "name" for the model (Aventador) is borrowed from the nickname of the bull, famous for his bravery in the arena during the bullfight in Zaragoza. The 700-4 mark means 700 horsepower and four-wheel drive.
The last part of the transformers turned out to be no less spectacular thanks to merciless filming, in which conceptual and fresh generations of famous auto brands were destroyed. On the side of good were:
- Hot Rod initially disguised as Citroen DS 1963, and then takes shape Lamborghini Centenario. The model has the characteristics of a real hypercar: 770 hp. at 8600 rpm. The engine has a V-shape and is equipped with four camshafts, and its volume is 6,5 liters.
- New look of the gunsmith Hound now represented by the civilian all-terrain vehicle Mercedes-Benz Unimog U4000. A feature of the motor of this "strong man" is 900 Nm. of torque at 1400 rpm. Car carrying capacity - up to 10 tons.
- Drift also changed its appearance. Now its camouflage is the Mercedes AMG GTR.
The rest of the Autobots and Decepticons using machines remained unchanged. The painting began to use more iron dinosaurs and robots without camouflage.
Here is another cut of short clips from the filming of the final part:
For ten years of filming, about 2 cars were scrapped. The second place in destructiveness during the creation of special effects was taken by the Forsage franchise (here what cars the heroes of this picture rolled). During the performance of stunts of all eight of its parts, stuntmen destroyed about 1 cars.
As you can see, originally created for fans of science fiction, the picture gradually migrated to the category of a PR campaign for leading car manufacturers.
Look also at the machines used in science fiction movie The Matrix.