The type of noise when starting a car on a cold can be important information for diagnosing a malfunction. Especially extraneous noise from the engine, which is the main warning of possible problems.
Of course, to know how the car sounds under normal conditions is very important in order to classify various non-standard noises and anomalies in the operation of the car.
Noises when starting a cold machine, which can provoke them
Below are discussed in detail the main most common types of abnormal noises when starting the machine on a cold, as well as their possible causes:
- The sound of a difficult engine start. When starting off on a cold one, there is a low intensity of headlights, and a sensation of sound is also perceived, as if the car starts without power. This is a symptom that has arisen due to problems in the battery (low charge or in poor condition) or at the terminals (which may be poorly connected).
- "Skating" starter ("grrrrrrrr ..."). If the vehicle starts to make a friction noise between the gears when starting, the problem may be with the starter.
- Noise in the engine (“chof, chof ...”). If you hear a noise when starting a cold engine, which is similar to “chof, chof ...” and there is a strong smell of fuel in the passenger compartment, it is possible that the nozzles are no longer tight or in poor condition. The noise produced by the nozzles is very characteristic and this is due to the effect of the emission of fuel vapor into the outside of the valve cover.
- Metal friction noise. It may happen that when starting the engine on a cold one, friction noise between metal parts from the engine area was heard. This situation could be a symptom caused by a malfunctioning water pump. This metallic noise can occur when the water pump turbine comes into contact with the pump housing itself.
- Metallic noise (ringing) from the exhaust area. Sometimes, it may happen that some leakage protector or clamp is loose or cracked. "Ringing" is made on a metal part that has come loose or cracks are present.
- A creak from the car. If there is noise when starting the car in a cold place and it looks like a creak coming from the inside of the car, it is possible that the heating fan is in poor condition (probably, the balance axis is broken or there is no lubrication).
- The sound of vibration of metal sheets at startup. The noise from the vibration of the metal sheets during starting is usually associated with the poor condition of the pipe protectors. These protectors may crack or break due to external factors such as temperature, mechanical stress, etc.
- Squeak in the engine area. A squeak in the engine area when starting off can occur due to a roller or timing belt tensioner in poor condition. This is because the rollers or tensioners can become loose.
- Intermittent or knocking noise in the engine compartment. This noise when starting the car to a cold one occurs, as a rule, due to the timing chain in a poor condition (stretched or faulty). In this case, the chain will cut into the skates and make these knocks, especially if the engine is not hot.
- Vibration of plastic in the area of the engine ("trrrrrr ..."). Vibration, changes in temperature or aging of the material, can be caused by cracks in the cover that covers the engine or its supports have been damaged, and, accordingly, vibrations of the plastic can be heard.
- Metallic noise exactly during launch, accompanied by vibration on the body and steering wheel. This symptom can be considered if the engine pistons are in poor condition. These symptoms can lead to a more serious malfunction.
- The noise, as if a metal chime at start (“clo, clo, ...”). When starting off, noise may occur, ringing metal caused by a steering accident. This can be caused by unbalancing the steering wheel, causing vibrations that determine this noise. He is very characteristic.
- Loud whistle in the engine compartment. Another possible noise when starting the car in frost is the whistle from the engine compartment, which may be caused by a defect in the exhaust manifold. Cracks in this part, or the gasket in poor condition, both can create such a strong whistle.
- Engine dangling or inharmonious noises. There is a possibility that such sounds occur in the engine when internal parts fail. As a rule, this malfunction is difficult to determine, because in order to diagnose accurately, you need to disassemble the engine.
There are many possible abnormal noises when starting a cold engine. When they are discovered, it is important to check the car as soon as possible, because, behind these noises, a serious malfunction may be hidden, or it may be a harbinger of a future serious problem.
To eliminate any type of noise when starting the car on a cold, it is highly recommended to contact the workshop. Answer 2 important questions: “what is the noise?” and “where does it come from?” This information will help technicians diagnose a malfunction.
Some of these noises are caused by wear or breakage of parts, plastic or metal. In many cases, it is not possible to replace the part (due to their high cost, lack of goods, etc.) and, to eliminate the malfunction, in such cases, it is recommended to use two-component glue.