Car tuning allows car owners to break out of the standards set by manufacturers. What do lovers of external and technical changes in vehicles do with their cars?
One of the types of auto-tuning is a welding installation. Let's figure out why it is needed, and also whether it is possible to perform such an upgrade of a personal car on your own.
What is the uncoiling of wheel disks
In fact, the welding of discs is a standard stamping expanded by welding a strip of identical material. There are also options when the disc is welded from two identical, but loose along and connected by a strong weld.
As for the diameter, it is often used in tuning this type of standard wheels for a particular car. In the classic version, a wheel rim, for example, with a radius of 13 inches, is 6,5j wide. However, uncoiling allows the disc to be increased to over 9j.
Why do we need unwelding?
Installing discs of this type gives the car a more effective design (although this is not for the amateur - some people like to use titans more). Basically, elite cars or sports cars are equipped with wide wheels. In addition to the fact that the budget car acquires an original design, this type of tuning has a practical purpose. A wider wheel makes it possible not only to draw the attention of passers-by to the transport, but also to increase the running characteristics of the vehicle and its stability on bends. If the car is fitted with wide tires, this improves traction.
Some go to this alteration only for aesthetic reasons. However, in most cases this is done to improve the handling of the car after technical tuning. Standard stampings are not always effective when combined with an uprated engine.
Here are the characteristics motorists are trying to improve by installing wheel welders:
- Increase controllability, both at the start and on bends;
- Improve the stability of the car by making it heavier (the car is more pressed against the road);
- Increase the contact spot with asphalt. Due to this, the driver will be able to use the full potential of the forced internal combustion engine.
Some motorists use standard tires instead of suitable wide tires for welding, but this significantly reduces its resource.
When the unwelding appeared
It is worth mentioning that such a modernization is not new in the world of auto-tuning. A similar technique was used back in the 1950s. American cars like Muscle cars had incredible power at that time. Basically, these models had rear-wheel drive, so non-standard disks with wider tires were installed on the rear axle.
This was necessary for the driver to be able to control the unstoppable "herd of horses" under the hood. The wider tires improved the stability of the sports car at the start, reducing the spin of the drive wheels.
Fashion migrated to the territory of the Soviet Union in the mid-70s with the development of motor sports.
Types of uncoiling disks with your own hands
Today, in some tuning shops, you can find various types of bonding. But for most ordinary car owners, they are not available due to the high cost. Mostly they are bought by participants in various competitions, for example, drifting.
For motorists of modest income, but strongly wishing to change the characteristics of their iron horse, there are two proven ways to make uncoiling at home:
- The first way is expensive. To do this, you need to purchase 2 sets of identical discs. Each disc is cut according to the final width of the wheel. Two large pieces are welded together;
- The second method is more budgetary, but takes more time. In this case, the car owner is not limited in what width he can stop at. The only thing he needs to consider is whether he will be able to ride on such wheels. In addition to the possible enlargement of the wheel arch, he may have to change the pivot mechanism in order for the car to turn.
Here's how you can get your car bonded. In total, there are several options for changing the width and extension of the wheel. Next - briefly about how to do the job in each case.
- Two identical discs are cut lengthwise. One is cut off the front rim, and the other the rear. It should be noted that in some cases (it depends on the characteristics of specific disks) disks upgraded in this way will simply have to be thrown away. The reason is the inability to wear rubber;
- This method has already been mentioned as being cheaper, but we must admit that it is one of the most laborious. First, you need to find a suitable plate. The difficulty is that it has to be thick metal. It is impossible to bend it manually into the rim, so you need to roll it. Secondly, it is almost impossible to make a perfect joint without the necessary skills;
- There is also a third popular method - making the so-called shape-shifters. In this case, the hub part of the disc is cut out from the inner side of the disc and welded so that it is installed on the hub on the other side. Before performing such a procedure, please note that it does not change the width, but only the stem.
The photo shows different options for inserts:
During the execution of work, care should be taken to maintain the maximum accuracy of geometry, although in all cases, ideally, this cannot be achieved. So, some cut the discs with a grinder, which makes the end face of the part uneven. Connected parts with curved edges will end up with lateral runout, causing the wheel to roll sideways. It is not difficult to guess how it will affect the rubber if one wheel goes to the right and the other to the left.
To minimize inaccuracies when cutting discs, lathes are used.
As for the radial runout, it cannot be eliminated at home, since manufacturers use high-precision equipment for alignment.
One nuance that will ultimately play a key role in the quality of the product. Do not overheat metal. In this case, its properties are lost, and the disk may burst under load. For this reason, the workpieces should be joined using a semiautomatic device. In contrast to the electrode analogue, a minimum amount of slag will form in the seam after this welding. Although a professional welder knows how to do the job correctly.
To make the finished product last a long time, it is painted. It also allows you to add originality to your car wheels.
What disks are made of?
Forged discs are ideal for making bondings. They are easier to process - it is easier to dissolve along, even with a grinder, and also to connect using conventional welding. As for cast or forged analogs, this work is not possible.
It is worth paying attention to the fact that cast or forged wheels with non-standard width exist in nature. However, they are mostly made to order. The cost of such modifications is very high.
Pros and cons of unwinding
We have already mentioned a little about the reasons for creating unweldings. They are also the advantages of such modernization:
- Stylish appearance of the car - the car seems to be lower, but the ground clearance (what is it - see a separate article) does not change;
- Increased contact patch with the road, which increases the stability of the car and its handling on curves at high speeds;
- The cost of such tuning is much lower than that performed in the studio with the installation of non-standard wheels manufactured at the factory.
Despite the fact that such tuning can be done by hand, it has its drawbacks. And there are many more of them than advantages. Here are some of the disadvantages of unwinding:
- Tires with non-standard dimensions for such rims are almost impossible to find. At least on the territory of the post-Soviet space. The only way out is to purchase suitable options abroad. But in this case, it is impossible to be 100 percent sure that the products will be of high quality, because they will already be used. Before starting the manufacture of bondings, this will need to be taken into account;
- No welder can be sure of the tightness of the seam. Only the road can show this, but a broken disc at high speed is not a sight for the faint of heart;
- There will definitely be problems with vulcanization or replacement of damaged rubber. It is difficult to put it on the rims, so not every tire changer will get to work;
- Don't expect an increase in dynamics because the wheels have become much heavier. If the motor has not been upgraded, then the car will become even slower;
- Increases "gluttony" - at least 15 percent (due to greater resistance from traction);
- Wheel bearings will wear much faster as the load increases on them;
- The track from the car becomes wider, which is why, especially on a snow-covered road with a track, the driver will have a hard time - it will be necessary to constantly "catch a car", which increases the risk of getting into an accident;
- If a modernized disc is manufactured by a non-professional, this will always affect the ride comfort due to the radial runout. Although even a professional cannot achieve the desired result without further alignment of the product.
So, as you can see, the unwinding looks original, but it has many disadvantages. Some of them are related to road safety. Even if the driver does not value his life, he should think that other road users have a different opinion.
In conclusion - a short video about the manufacturing procedure: