- Why should I monitor my tire pressure?
- Types of Tire Pressure Sensors
- The device and principle of operation of sensors for monitoring tire pressure
- TPMS and measuring principle
- Main participants of the TPMS market
- K how does the tire pressure monitoring system work?
- Why install a TMS system
- Causes of tire air loss
- How can you check your tire pressure?
- Tire pressure monitoring system with external sensors.
- Electronic tire pressure and temperature indicator (TPMS / TPMS) with internal sensors.
- General conclusions
- TPMS power
- How to connect tire pressure monitoring sensors
- How to register sensors
- Tire pressure sensor selection
- An example from personal experience
- Tire pressure sensor setting
- How does this whole car system work?
Checking the tire pressure of a car at least once a week may seem like a daunting task to many drivers, but this is only at first glance.
Why should I monitor my tire pressure?
Experienced drivers understand that low tire pressure can lead to increased tread wear. Therefore, daily monitoring of this indicator on each wheel in the future will play a significant role in saving the budget. To ease the fate of the driver and enable him to monitor not only the pressure in the tires, but also the temperature in them every second, a special device was developed, which we will talk about in this article.
TPMS / TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System), which many motorists call a wheel pressure sensor, is a system designed to monitor the pressure and temperature of tires. Its main purpose is to continuously measure and display information, as well as an immediate alarm informing the driver about a drop in pressure or a critical change in temperature in the tire / tires of the vehicle. This system is installed as standard equipment. Thus, it can be additionally installed in a car service.
Using TPMS, you can save up to 4% in fuel, improve road safety and reduce wear on tires, wheels and car suspension parts. In the US and EU countries, the presence of such a system is mandatory. American research shows that TPMS / TPMS reduces the risk of fatal accidents by up to 70%, caused either by a puncture and subsequent disassembly, or by overheating the tire causing it to explode.
Types of Tire Pressure Sensors
Tire pressure monitoring systems can be implemented in two ways. The main difference between them is the types of measurements, the characteristics of which we will discuss in more detail below. There are still structural differences in how the sensors are mounted on the wheel. Installation can be internal or external.
The first option will require removing the wheels for installation. The second allows these sensors to be screwed onto the nipple, replacing them with protective caps or valves.
It should be noted that tire pressure monitoring systems are produced for both cars and trucks, buses and minibuses. The main difference between trucks and commercial vehicles is that more sensors can be included in the installation kit, and the sensors themselves are designed for more severe operating conditions.
IMPORTANT: Do not install TPMS on trucks intended for passenger cars!
The device and principle of operation of sensors for monitoring tire pressure
The principle of operation is quite simple. An internal or external sensor mounted on the wheel measures the temperature and pressure of the tire. The specified sensor has a built-in short-range radio transmitter, which transmits the received information to the main unit. Such a unit is installed in the passenger compartment and next to the driver.
The main unit processes the information received from the wheel sensor in accordance with the parameters set by the driver himself. Summary information is displayed. If there is a deviation from the set parameters, the TPMS will immediately send an alarm signaling the need for action.
TPMS and measuring principle
Indirect type of measurements.
Instruments that measure pressure indirectly have a fairly simple algorithm. The principle is that the flat tire has a noticeably smaller diameter. It turns out that such a wheel passes a smaller section of the road in one turn. The system is compared to standards based on readings from the ABS wheel rotation sensors. If the indicators do not match, the TPMS will immediately inform the driver of the corresponding warning indicator on the dashboard and an audible warning will follow.
The main advantage of wheel pressure sensors with indirect measurements is their simplicity and relatively low cost. The disadvantages include the fact that they determine the pressure indicators only when the machine is in motion. Such systems still have low measurement accuracy, and the error is about 30%.
Direct view of measurements.
Systems operating on the principle of direct measurement of tire pressure consist of the following elements:
- Pressure meter;
- Main control unit;
- Antenna and display.
These systems measure the pressure in each wheel.
The sensor replaces the valve and measures pressure by sending the reading through a transducer to the main unit. Further, everything is implemented similarly to the previous system. The direct measurement system has a high accuracy of readings, reacts sensitively to any changes in the situation, there is a possibility of reprogramming after changing tires. The information display of such devices can be installed on the central panel, can be made in the form of a key fob, etc. d. Wheel sensors in most of these systems have built-in batteries. They cannot be replaced, so at the end of their service life, which is usually quite long, new sensors must be purchased.
Main participants of the TPMS market
The buyer is offered a huge selection of proposals in the field of tire pressure monitoring systems.
The following brands should be noted:
Tyredog, Orange, Whistler, AVE, Falcon, Autofun, TP Master, Phantom, Steelmate, Park Master и другие.
This device works on the principle of direct measurement of tire pressure and temperature. The product is distinguished by good accuracy and high-quality built-in display, which is installed on the center panel of the car. You can note the level of signal quality and the stability of communication between the main unit and the sensors.
Whistler TS-104 package includes:
- power adapter for cars;
- 4 sensors for each tire;
- double sided tape;
- dashboard mat;
- moisture replacement gaskets;
- user's manual.
- Autostart TPMS-201a.
This model is a budget line of products from this manufacturer. Ideal for those who value the accuracy of measurements and the speed of the system response, but the price remains quite affordable.
Autofun TPMS-201 has a clean and compact monochrome display with a small footprint and high functionality.
The entire list of information about the condition of the tires of the car is immediately transmitted to the smartphone screen via Bluetooth.
To do this, you need to install a special Android application and purchase a set consisting of 4 pressure sensors, a Bluetooth module and 4 batteries.
To sum up
Ease of use, undeniable advantages and affordable price make the tire pressure and temperature monitoring system an irreplaceable assistant that tirelessly cares about your safety, will help you significantly extend the life of your tires and prevent unexpected road complications during the operation of your car.
TPMS tire pressure monitoring systems include an autonomous pressure gauge and pressure and temperature, and an information block. The last element includes a screen that displays the sensor readings. The driver can place it in a convenient place in the cabin.
K how does the tire pressure monitoring system work?
The principle of operation of the device is simple. As the amount of air in the tires decreases, the tire circumference changes. As a result, the speed of rotation of the wheel increases. IndicatorTPMS monitors these processes. If the indicator exceeds the established rate, the driver is given a signal that he understands the malfunction. Some modern systems send notifications to Android mobile devices.
You can easily identify serious tire damage yourself. With a gradual lowering of the wheel, everything is much more complicated, since such changes are practically not felt. It is especially difficult to feel the difference when driving as a passenger.
Why install a TMS system
Many car manufacturers install sensors in new cars by default. If this is not done by the manufacturer, drivers must additionally purchase these valuable devices. Thanks to them, you can get the following benefits:
- Driving safety With different tire pressures, the car loses steering stability and does not always obey the driver. This increases the risk of an accident. The danger increases especially when driving at high speeds.
- Saving. Fuel consumption is influenced by different parameters, even if the engine is very economical, excessive consumption can occur. The reason is an increase in the contact area with the road surface. The ENGINE is forced to work harder and to pull more weight.
- Environmental friendliness. The increase in fuel consumption for cars leads to an increase in exhaust emissions. Many car manufacturers try to make their products as environmentally friendly as possible.
- Service life of tires. As the pressure decreases, the resource decreases the performance of the tire. Modern controllers promptly warn drivers about this.
- types of pressure control systems
The whole variety of sensors can be divided into two types:
Externally. Compact devices that replace the caps. They serve to block air in the chambers and register pressure changes. Some models identify changes caused by natural fluctuations. The main disadvantage of this type of device is vulnerability. They can be stolen or accidentally damaged.
Interior. The devices have increased reliability, they are protected from external influences. The devices are designed to be installed in tire cavities, so it is simply impossible to steal them, their only drawback is the higher price.
Causes of tire air loss
We hope we have convinced you of the need to periodically monitor the tire pressure. But why can well-inflated wheels lose pressure? With a puncture everything is clear, but if there is no puncture? It is no secret that tire leakage can be due to tire integrity, and there are many reasons for this.
- For example, sometimes the air will find a small outlet between the tire and the rim, if the latter is not new.
- Sometimes it can be a so-called slow puncture, when the hole in the tire is so small that the pressure drops very slowly.
- A wheel suddenly deflates when the tire is briefly disconnected from the rim and the pressure drops immediately. This happens during sharp maneuvers or when moving to the side.
- In winter, the wheels swollen in the heat - from the cold they lose pressure due to the compression of the air inside.
- On the other hand, inflating cold wheels in the cold can lead to unnecessarily high pressure in summer. At the beginning of the wheel movement and heating, the heated air expands significantly, which can lead to an increase in air pressure.
How can you check your tire pressure?
A pressure gauge is a device for measuring the pressure inside something. A car pressure gauge measures the tire pressure. It is extremely easy to use, just unscrew the protective cap from the wheel nipple, press the pressure gauge tightly against the nipple with a hole and, after a characteristic sound, look at the result reflected on the dashboard.
- Overall driver control for measurements. If you don't trust anyone, this is the perfect way for you.
- The relative cheapness of the device. It should be noted right away that a good pressure gauge does not cost 100 or 200 rubles. The price of quality devices starts at 500 rubles, but they allow you to get reliable results.
- High accuracy of readings. A good device shows a difference of up to 0,1 units
Disadvantages of a pressure gauge:
The need for regular re-checks of data. If two days ago everything was fine, today it is no longer a fact.
Squatting around the machine regularly in summer is usually not a problem, but in winter it is just uncomfortable in tight clothing.
Bending of the protective nipple cap does not cause negative associations only in sunny summer weather, when this cap is clean and warm. In cold or humid seasons, this operation rarely causes pleasant emotions.
Checking four wheels with a pressure gauge takes time, which is often a shame to waste.
In the event of a puncture while driving (as is the case when this article started), the pressure gauge is completely useless.
The gauge is like a foot pump for inflating the wheels, it seems to be a useful thing that is still sold in stores, but only fans buy it. Nowadays, most simple electric compressors are cheaper than a good foot pump. The same can be said for the pressure gauge. No autonomy. There are other, more convenient ways to check, but there will always be people who will buy exactly that good old pressure gauge, which is based on the principle "no one can check better than me."
Pressure Indicator Covers
Indicator covers are miniature gauges for each wheel. To become the proud owner of them, you need to buy a kit specially designed for your car, according to the plate attached to the door. If your car requires a constant pressure of 2,2 atmospheres, then take a kit labeled "2,2", if 2 atmospheres, then "2" and so on. Then screw these caps in place of the standard caps and get the desired result.
The principle of operation is extremely simple. Inside the cap, under the transparent part, there is a plastic device resembling a telescopic antenna. While the pressure in the wheel is normal, a green cover is visible under the transparent plastic. As soon as the pressure drops, the green part goes down and the orange (or yellow) segment of the "antenna" becomes visible. If things are really "sad", the green part completely goes into the body and the red segment becomes visible.
Now that the principle of operation is clear, let's look at the advantages and disadvantages of such a device.
- It is not necessary to regularly check the pressure with a pressure gauge. Everything is visible immediately and clearly enough.
- Inexpensive device Inexpensive Chinese options on the markets start from $ 8 for 4 pieces. Dear versions, US-made products are available online for $ 18 a set. That is, it is quite comparable in price with a good pressure gauge!
- Nice appearance that draws attention to the car.
- Convenient year-round access to data, regardless of weather conditions.
- The data is received immediately upon verification. Unlike a pressure gauge, which you have to sit next to each wheel, with these caps a quick glance is enough to keep the situation under control.
- Very relative accuracy of the device. Moreover, the more "Chinese" devices we have, the higher this relativity.
- Incomprehensible situation with excessive pressure. Theoretically, overpressure is not reflected in this diagram in any way.
- Good looks can attract more than just good people. The vandal resistance of such devices is minimal, so it is worth mentally preparing for the fact that envious people will steal them regularly.
- The uselessness of the device when driving when the car is in motion. If the wheel suddenly deflates or the pressure drops a little during the day - all this time they did not pay attention to it and continued to move, the situation will be similar to the problem mentioned at the beginning of the article.
Summary. Color-coded tire pressure caps are convenient, cheap, attractive, but extremely vandal resistant. If a car spends the night on the street, it is somehow naive to count on their long service life in the car - bright lining will attract the attention of even those who do not need them. The accuracy of their measurement also leaves much to be desired. But in general there are more positive moments.
Tire pressure monitoring system with external sensors.
This is a serious system. Unlike the previous mechanical one, the electronic system allows you to see not only the tire pressure level, but also the temperature. This is a very important and useful indicator. The principle of operation is simple - sensors are installed instead of the nipple plug and read the necessary information, transmitting it to the head unit, which can be made in the form of a key fob or a screen inside the car. The advantage of the system is direct control of each wheel without the need for visual inspection. In addition, such a system is able to notify about a drop in tire pressure online, that is, just while driving.
- Measurement accuracy up to 0,1 atm.
- Shows the temperature inside the tire.
- The shape factor in the form of the nipple caps allows the sensors to be swapped from summer to winter wheels and vice versa.
- Status monitoring in real time by transmitting information to a remote control or a dedicated monitor in the cab.
- Possibility of an audible signal when the pressure in the wheel drops, indicating the damaged wheel.
- Price. The price of such devices starts at $ 200 or more.
- Low anti-vandal resistance. By analogy with the previous caps, these, despite their less attractive appearance, are also poorly protected from envious people and just hooligans, but the price of one sensor is several times more expensive than a set of multi-colored caps from the previous description.
- Low resistance to aggression in the environment. Often, but such electronic caps suffer from falling stones.
- The high price of a new sensor.
In summary, it is an almost ideal device for working in civilized areas or when storing in guarded parking lots. When the vehicle is outside the secured area, the likelihood of loss of sensors due to common theft increases significantly. The cost of one sensor is about 40-50 dollars.
Otherwise, it is an extremely useful and necessary thing, especially for drivers of cars with large tires.
Electronic tire pressure and temperature indicator (TPMS / TPMS) with internal sensors.
Unlike the system with external sensors, the sensors of this circuit are located inside the wheel and are installed in the area of the nipple. In fact, the nipple is part of the sensor. This approach, on the one hand, hides the sensor in the wheel, on the other hand, the sensors themselves are protected from almost everything.
Since this system is considered to be more related to the car, the technical implementation allows the installation of several devices connected to one monitor. This is the best option on the market in terms of functionality.
- High measurement accuracy (up to 0,1 atm).
- Show not only the pressure, but also the air temperature in the tires. Additional benefits are the same as in the previous version.
- Real-time monitoring
- Highest vandal resistance. From the outside, the grain looks like a regular grain.
- Indication of the state of the wheel at "slow puncture".
- Sound signal in case of pressure drop in the wheel with indication of wheel damage.
- A wide range of additional services on one device. An option is possible in the form of a whole combination of devices, with a rear-view camera, with parking sensors and air pressure and temperature sensors in the wheels with an output to the monitor included in the kit. In this case, it is possible to install only a tire pressure and air temperature monitoring system.
- Battery life. The service life of the sensor from one battery is up to eight years.
- Inertial sensor activation. There are models that have an energy saving function that turns off the sensors of a stationary car and automatically turns them on when starting off or changing the pressure in the wheel.
- Ability to drive five (!) Wheels simultaneously, including the spare.
- Possibility to change the parameters of pressure and temperature control. For example, you like to ride on softer or, conversely, harder wheels than recommended by the manufacturer. In this case, you can independently adjust the pressure level required for monitoring by the system.
- High price. The price for this quality system starts at $ 250.
- If you use two sets of wheels (winter and summer) on rims, you need to purchase two sets of accessories. Installation is performed when the tires are mounted on the rim.
- The tire service personnel must be reminded to take extra care when handling the wheel on which the inner sensor is installed to avoid damaging it with the fitting tool.
In terms of functionality, this is the most attractive option available on the market. The only controversial point is the price of the device. Nearly $ 300 if you're driving slowly around town, if your car doesn't have big wheels, or if your income doesn't depend on the condition of your car, it's probably not too much.
However, if you often travel long distances, or if your car uses large wheels, or you make money from your car, or if you just keep your car driving reliably and stable, this is the best option in our opinion.
The range of devices presented in this group is very wide. We found the most interesting, simple and understandable version of the system, the monitor of which is included in the cigarette lighter and shows the status of the wheels online. When you get out of the car, if you are "spending the night" in an unsecured parking lot, this monitor can be taken with you, and the wheel sensors will look like ordinary nipples. This is how the first rule of car safety is observed - do not attract the attention of an intruder. This solution seems to us the most practical.
For those who decided not to waste time, there are systems that combine not only the tire temperature and air pressure monitoring system, but also navigation (!), Rear view camera (!) And parking radars! ) With monitor output.
Unfortunately, the market position of this combined solution is a bit uncertain. On the one hand, the system does not pretend to be a "budget", on the other hand, such a system is already pre-installed by the manufacturer for expensive cars. We can talk about the advantages of the latter solution for a long time (for example, the ability to set the level of pressure and temperature control is impossible in the system pre-installed by the car manufacturer, but in the system of a third-party manufacturer - no problem), but for some reason it seems to us that very few people will dare " take out "the same" native "Acura system in order to replace it with a good one, but someone else's.
Hopefully we've finally managed to convince everyone to monitor tire pressure. In this article, we've covered four main measurement methods. The first two will only save you from pressure drop, but will not help to identify the problem at the initial stage. It often starts with a collision with a small stud, which results in a small hole that gradually expels air, but when traveling long distances, such a puncture can be fatal to the tire.
"Chewed" by a disc, the tire loses its structure, and even if you remove the nail and vulcanize the hole, it is impossible to completely restore it. On small wheels (13-15 inches) it is not pleasant either, but not very expensive 70-100 dollars for a damaged wheel. However, at a tire price of $ 200 or more, this is already becoming very painful for the wallet.
The second two devices in this review are intended to alert you to the problem at the very beginning.
The advantages of removable caps are obvious, but we do not know of a single unguarded place in the world where they could be guaranteed safe. Unfortunately, the chance of curling is much higher than 50%. At the same time, the one who twists them, most often does it not for profit, but simply out of hooligan motives or out of a sense of "civil protest", as it is now fashionable to say. In these conditions, systems with "closed" sensors become the most attractive.
Another useful function of systems that can "monitor" not only pressure but also air temperature is their indirect ability to diagnose the condition of wheel bearings and wheel braking systems. This "undocumented" function is as follows - in case of critical wear of bearings or wedge of the brakes in the wheel - the tire heats up intensively due to the heating of the problematic unit itself. Often the driver does not realize the problem until the last moment, which can lead to serious damage. The temperature sensors located in the wheels detect a malfunction, which indicates a higher air temperature in the wheel located on the problem block than on the other wheels.
In short, the last two types of devices in the review are classified as "must have" for those who care about the condition of their own car.
The device is powered by batteries. In addition, each sensor has a separate battery. The controller can operate both on batteries and on solar panels and the on-board network, it all depends on the model. The monitoring system powered by solar panels, in contrast to systems connected to the on-board network, is very convenient, since almost all devices are powered from the cigarette lighter. So there are no additional hanging wires, and the cigarette lighter socket is always free.
Internal sensor batteries have a long service life. It usually ranges from one to three years. Then the wheels are disassembled again and the sensors are completely replaced.
All types of external controllers have a G sensor that puts their power system into standby mode in rest mode. This allows for longer battery life. Currently, almost all electronic sensors, both internal and external, are equipped with limited energy sensors.
How to connect tire pressure monitoring sensors
A branded TPMS suite usually consists of:
- Signature controllers for each wheel (the number depends on the class of the car, usually there are four caps for cars and six if it is a tire pressure monitoring system for trucks). Signed with two Latin letters, where the first one defines the horizontal position, the second one - vertical. Example: LF - Left (Front), Front (Front).
- Receiver with 1-5 buttons on the side to display pressure rates. On the back of the receiver there is a double-sided tape for easy installation. This device is securely held and can be safely installed on glass panels.
- A set of tools for disassembling controllers or receiver.
- Adapter (available in cable devices).
- Spare parts (stickers, seals).
The installation method depends on the type of device. External controllers can be installed independently by simply replacing the native air nipple caps on the wheels. Here you should pay attention to the metal thread of the controller. It can be aluminum or brass. It is important that it is adequate to avoid oxidation.
Internal TPMS are installed inside tires. The procedure is short and trouble-free, but will protect your expensive tire pressure monitoring system from theft.
How to register sensors
After technical work on fixing the elements, you can proceed to setting the parameters. User can set tire pressure monitoring limits. For this, special buttons are provided on the side of the control box. Since they are needed only for customization, the number of their manufacturers is trying to reduce.
In the modern market, there are cases when the receiver is bypassed with just one button. To register data, you must press the required number of times. Example:
- press and hold for 1-3 seconds (long) - on / off;
- five short clicks - proceeding to configure the TPMS system;
- to set the lower limit, you can use the menu buttons (on the side, usually labeled with up / down arrows) or, again, click once on the main button;
- to correct the standard - press and hold.
Along with the prescribed pressure standards, you can set the method of measurement (bar, kilopascal, psi), temperature units (Celsius or Fahrenheit). In the manufacturer's instructions, it explains in detail the procedure for setting up your receiver, with this the driver should not have any problems.
Tire pressure sensor selection
The TPMS market includes dozens of models from anonymous manufacturers (the vast majority are from China) and 3-5 recommended brands. Drivers noted the optimal value for money of the Japanese Carax tire pressure monitoring system, better known to motorists as different versions of the CRX. The Parkmaster machines worked pretty well.
When choosing a specific device, you should pay attention to:
- range (range of signal transmission, for "Karax" it starts from 8-10 meters);
- connection method;
- options (data transfer to smartphone / tablet, settings);
- warranty period of operation;
- range of pressure limits that can be specified.
The way of displaying / displaying information is of great importance. It is more convenient to use a high-end system (on the TPMS monitoring system screen, all wheels are constantly displayed with pressure and temperature)
An example from personal experience
Every driver knows that the correct tire pressure is very important. Low pressure increases fuel consumption, impairs handling and reduces tire life. Excessive pressure can lead to increased tire wear and rapid tire failure. You can read more about the dangers of driving when the tire pressure is different from the nominal pressure.
One fine morning the whole family decided to go shopping. It just so happened that I didn't check the car as usual - I just got out and got into the car. During the trip, I did not notice anything unusual, except for one of the caught pits, but it was at the very end of the trip. When we stopped in the parking lot, I saw with horror that we were driving on a completely flat front wheel. Fortunately, we did not travel much on it - about 3 km. This is what happened to the tire.
It was a longer distance and the tire had to be thrown away, since I could not find the same tire, I had to replace immediately 2. This is already a significant loss of money. Then I wondered if there was a real-time pressure measurement system. As it turned out, such systems exist.
There are TPMS systems with sensors that fit directly inside the tire (you need to disassemble the wheel), and there are systems with sensors that simply wrap around the wheel nipple cap instead. I chose the option with external sensors.
Many different pressure control systems have been found in the automotive market. Of all the proposals, I chose the TPMS system, which will be discussed below.
First of all, I liked the design, dimensions and ease of installation, as well as the ability to place it where it is convenient for me. So let's take a closer look at the system.
- Sensor type: wireless pressure and temperature sensors T8.
- Shown parameters: pressure and temperature of 4 sensors simultaneously.
- Low Pressure Alarm Threshold Setting: Yes
- High Pressure Alarm Threshold Setting: Yes
- Display type: digital LCD
- Pressure units: kPa / bar / psi Inch
- Temperature units: ºF / ºC
- Sensor Low Battery Alarm: Yes
- Battery type: CR1632
- Sensor battery capacity: 140mAh 3V
- Operating voltage of sensors: 2,1 - 3,6 V
- Transmitter power in sensors: less than 10 dBm
- Receiver sensitivity: -105 dBm
- System frequency: 433,92 MHz
- Operating temperature: -20 - 85 degrees Celsius.
- Sensor weight: 10 g.
- Receiver weight: 59g
Box and hardware
The TPMS system came in a large box, unfortunately already torn and carelessly sealed by someone. The photo shows.
On the side of the box there is a sticker indicating the type of sensors and their identifiers. As you can see, the sensors here are of the T8 type.
The complete set is as follows: 4 wireless pressure sensors, on each sensor there is a sticker on which wheel to place it, 4 nuts, 3 spare seals in the sensors, keys for disassembling and installing sensors 2 pcs., Power adapter in the cigarette lighter, receiver and indicator, instructions.
A little about the instructions
Looking ahead, I will say that I connected the TPMS system from an external power source and, naturally, the system did not see any sensors. Then I decided to read the instructions, but it turned out to be completely in English. I don't speak English and turned to google translator for help.
Classic power adapter. It has a red indicator on it. The wire is thin and elastic. The wires are long enough to fit the receiver anywhere in the car. I didn't have time to measure the length, because I happily installed a receiving unit in the cabin, cut the wire and connected it to the ignition so that it would not occupy the cigarette lighter. Below is a photo of the power adapter.
Parsing the power supply:
As you can see in the picture, the receiver is powered directly from the vehicle's on-board network, there are no converters in the power adapter. Fuse set to 1,5 A
I consider the pressure and temperature sensors to be reliable.
Each sensor has a sticker indicating which wheel it should be mounted on. LF Left Front, LR Left Rear, RF Front Right, RR Rear Right.
From the side where the nipple is screwed on, the sensor looks like this:
Metal thread, rubber seal. Let's see what's in the nutria and analyze it with the keys from the kit.
Keys are collected in such a compact installation, it is very convenient to store in the glove compartment.
Let's analyze the tire pressure sensor
Both keys fit very tightly, there is no resistance.
Inside, except for an easily replaceable CR1632 battery, there is nothing more interesting.
The photo shows a translucent seal, which, if necessary, can be replaced with a spare one from the kit. I have all the sensors so that the pressure is normal, nothing needs to be changed.
The sensor weighs only 10 grams.
Receiver and indicator.
The receiving unit is compact. Finding a place for him in the salon is quite simple. I placed it on the left side in the groove. There are no buttons or indicators on the front panel, just a display. At the back there is a folding mount. The rotation of the device is small, but enough to select the desired viewing angle. There is also a speaker hole, a short wire with an outlet for connecting the power supply. There are 3 buttons for setting.
Tire pressure sensor setting
I will describe the setup procedure using the pressure display parameter panel as an example.
To enter the settings menu, you must press and hold the button in the middle with a square icon until you hear a beep and this display appears on the display.
Then, using the buttons on the side, set the parameter that we will configure. There are only 7 of them.
1 - Here the sensors are connected to the receiver. This must be done if we replace the sensor, for example, when it is out of order. This procedure is described in the instructions, I did not have to connect the sensors, since they had already been registered and immediately started working.
2 - Set the alarm threshold when the pressure exceeds the level set here.
3 - Setting the alarm threshold when the pressure drops to the set level.
4 - Setting the display of pressure indicators. Here you can set kPa, bar, psi.
5 - Installation of temperature indicators. You can choose ºF or ºC.
6 - Here you can change the axes on which the sensors are installed in places. For example, we replaced the front wheels with the rear ones (without replacing the left and right wheels) and here you can configure the correct display of information without reinstalling the sensors themselves.
7 - Initialization of the receiving device. After this procedure, you will need to connect all 4 sensors.
Select parameter 4.
Then you need to press the button in the middle shortly again. Then use the buttons on the side to select the parameter we need. I chose bar pressure indicators.
Then press the button in the middle again and hold it, waiting for the receiver signal and restart. This completes the installation of sensors. The rest of the menu items are configured in the same way. The algorithm is a bit unusual, but generally clear. These buttons are only needed for setting parameters and are not used during operation.
At the bottom of the unit there is a double-sided tape, with the help of which the receiving module is fixed in the cab. It behaves very well, the receiver weighs only 59 grams.
Let's see what's inside:
There are no complaints about the case and installation. Everything is high quality and tidy.
The photo on the left shows a Micro USB Type B (USB 2.0), and the purpose of this connector remains a mystery. I do not have such a wire and will not use it in any way. Therefore, I did not understand why it was necessary.
How does this whole car system work?
Several photos of how the system looks like in operation.
Sensors are highlighted only with white stickers. They are installed quite simply. First, the nut from the kit is screwed on, then the sensor itself is quickly screwed on until it stops. After tightening with the nut using the supplied wrench. After such an installation, it is difficult to simply unscrew the sensor manually, it rotates with the wheel nipple and does not unscrew when driving.
Several photos of the installed receiver.
In the last photo, the system is in alarm mode.
I have an alarm set to 1,8 bar. It got cold in the morning, and the pressure in the right front wheel dropped below 1,8. In this case, the display makes a rather disgusting sound and the alarm indicators flash. This will make you stop urgently and pump up the wheel.
At night, the indicator does not light up brightly and does not distract. When it is on, the indicator does not appear immediately. All 4 wheels are usually displayed within a minute. Further, the readings are periodically updated.
In conclusion, I want to say that I am very pleased with the purchase. I don’t think I wasted my money. The readings are displayed very accurately. All parameters of all 4 wheels are displayed at once, you do not need to switch anything. Everything is very conveniently grouped, and a short overview is enough to understand the condition of the wheels. Now you don't have to go around the car looking at the wheels, just look at the indicator on the left.
The system forces you to pump up the wheels, even if it is not critical. With the acquisition of sensors for work in the car, it became a little calmer. Of course, this system has its drawbacks. This is the lack of instructions in Russian, the possibility that curious people can simply twist the sensors, the price.
On the positive side, I note the accuracy of the readings, I liked the design of the sensors and the indicator unit, the ease of installation and operation, the ability to install the receiver where I like it, and connect it to the ignition switch without adapters and converters. I recommend buying, and then decide for yourself whether you need such a system or not.