Recently, more and more modifications of cars have appeared on the automotive market, which receive their names. This is often a transliteration of English words. So, earlier the buyer understood that he wanted to buy a sedan, station wagon, van or truck.
Today in the showroom the seller will offer to choose a hatchback, liftback or fastback. It is not surprising to get confused in this terminology and buy not what you wanted. Let's figure out what a liftback is and how it differs from a hatchback.
Liftback is a type of car body. It has external similarities with the type "sedan" and "hatchback". What is special about this body type?
This modification was created for the category of motorists who wanted to find both stylish and practical car. Liftbacks are perfect for these buyers. Outwardly, they look like a luxury car, but at the same time they are quite practical in everyday life.
A passenger car can be front-, rear- and all-wheel drive. From the front, it is no different from a classic sedan. These are mainly four-door models. The trunk in them protrudes like a classic sedan. There are two types of luggage compartment covers:
- a full-fledged door that opens upward;
- trunk lid cover.
The practicality of this modification lies in the fact that long and bulky cargo can be transported in the car. At the same time, the car has a presentable appearance for business trips. Such cars are popular with family businessmen. The car is ideal for long journeys.
In the market of the domestic car industry, liftbacks are not uncommon. Here are some examples.
- IZH-2125. The first Soviet 5-seater liftback, somewhat reminiscent of the universal models of its contemporaries. Then this type of body was given the name "Combi".
- Lada Granta. Attractive and inexpensive car with sedan looks and station wagon practicality. 5 people can be in the cabin together with the driver.
- ZAZ-Slavuta. A budget model that does not differ in outstanding technical characteristics. It is popular with middle-income motorists. Five-seater salon.
Examples of foreign cars in the liftback body:
- Skoda Superb
- Skoda Octavia;
- Skoda Rapid.
There are several types of liftbacks. One of them is fastbacks. Most often these are representatives of the premium class. The roof in them can be sloping or with a slight overhang to the trunk lid. Examples of such modifications:
What is the difference between a liftback and a hatchback
The liftback can be called a transitional link between the standard sedan and the hatchback. These are the main differences between these bodies.
|Roof||sloping||sloping or smoother|
|Trunk||protruding, separated from the passenger compartment by a partition, like sedans||combined with the salon, as in station wagons|
|The back of the trunk||separate lid or full door fixed to the roof||door opening upwards|
|Rear overhang||smooth slope with luggage compartment overhang||shortened, smoothly ends at the rear bumper (more often vertical, as in station wagons)|
|Body shape||two-volume (resembles a hatchback) and three-volume (resembles a sedan)||only two-volume|
Thanks to constructive solutions that increase the practicality of the car, such models are very popular with many motorists.
Often, car companies use this type of body to freshen up the lineup without changing the technical parameters of the vehicle. Such a marketing ploy sometimes saves a series during a downturn in consumer interest.
Among the advantages of the liftback, it is worth noting the safety of passengers with the maximum load of the trunk. Hatchbacks need to install an additional fence in the form of a net so that luggage does not fly into the cabin during an accident.
In terms of trunk volume, the liftback is clearly inferior to the hatchback, because in many models the space above the trunk shelf is often left unoccupied.
Many motorists consider liftbacks to be the best body option. Due to the presence of a tailgate, it is easier (than in a sedan) to place bulky luggage. However, on the territory of the post-Soviet space, such modifications are often equated with hatchbacks.
Examples of liftbacks
Modern examples of liftbacks include:
- Audi Second generation S7 Sportback. The model appeared in the spring of 2019 at an online presentation;
- Volkswagen Polo 2nd generation, which was presented to the world of car enthusiasts also remotely in early 2020;
- Polestar 2. The electric car in the back of the C-class liftback was first introduced at the beginning of 2019, and the first copy rolled off the assembly line in March 2020;
- Skoda Superb 3. Restrained and at the same time catchy mid-size car appeared in 2015;
- Opel Insignia Grand Sport 2nd generation business class model appeared in 2016;
- Skoda Octavia of the third generation and modification of RS 2013 and restyled edition of 2016.
More budget options include:
- Lada Granta 2014, as well as a restyled version of 2018;
- Chery QQ6 first appeared in 2006, but production ended in 2013;
- The well-known ZAZ-1103 "Slavuta" was produced in the period 1999-2011;
- The 4th generation Seat Toledo was introduced in 2012;
- Toyota The second generation Prius, which was produced between 2003-2009.
In addition, pay attention to the review of liftbacks in comparison with other common body types: